Username Password
Hire Home | Admin | Help
Frequently Asked Questions

Please read the questions below before contacting the District about your application. Questions are grouped into categories to help you find information quickly.

Question Categories
Q:How do I apply for a job?A:Once you find a job you would like to apply for simply click on the title of the job (e.g. "Elementary School Teacher"). Then you will review a description of the job and click on the "Apply for This Position" button. At this point you will either need to login to an existing account you have already created or create a new account. To create a new account click on "Create A New Account And Apply For This Position" button. Then answer the on-screen questions to create an account. You must complete all required fields and click the "Save and Submit" button at the end of the application. When your application is successfully submitted, you will receive a confirmation number. You can use this confirmation number to reference a specific application.Back to TopQ:What should I put in the certification section?A:Enter information only if you hold a teaching certificate. Do not enter any information if you do not hold a teaching certificate.

* If you hold a Maryland teaching certificate, enter that information in the "Certification Information/Professional Certificate" section.

* If you hold a teaching certificate from another state, enter the information in the "Out of State Certification Information" section.
Back to TopQ:There are only three upload sections for resume, cover letter, and transcripts. How can I upload more than one transcript as well as my teaching certificate and Praxis results?A:You can combine the cover letter as the first page of your resume and upload as one document into the Resume section. You can then scan your teaching certificate and teaching test results into one document to upload into the Cover Letter section. Scan all transcripts into one document and upload into the Transcripts section. Remember the file size limit is 10MB.Back to TopQ:Can I save my incomplete application and return to complete it at a later time?A:Yes. You may logout of your application at any time and return later to continue your application if the job posting is still open.Back to TopQ:How can I re-access my application?A:You will need to enter the online application for teaching and login using your username and password. Make sure that you record this information in a safe place for future reference.Back to TopQ:I have completed the online application for teaching in St. Mary's County available at under "Jobs". What happens now?A:First, we check to see if your application is complete. You must answer all the questions. Make sure you include email addresses for your references. We contact your references by email using the email addresses you have uploaded and wait for responses from them. Your application must also contain your resume and an unofficial or official transcript uploaded into your file. When all references and documents are complete, your application is evaluated.Back to TopQ:I have updated my profile but when I view a PDF of my application it shows the old information. Is there any way to overwrite this?A:When you submit an application, the system locks your answers in permanently. HR departments are aware of this and know to check candidate profiles for updated information.Back to TopQ:What happens if I withdraw my application?A:If you withdraw your application the district will no longer consider you for the position from which you are withdrawing. If you withdraw by mistake, please contact the district and they can re-activate your application.Back to TopQ:My application status says “Incomplete”. What should I do?A:If your application status reads “Incomplete,” you will need to contact the district to ask why they have marked it this way. The district’s HR department will tell you if additional application materials are needed.Back to Top
Q:What types of files do you accept for Resume, Cover Letter, Letters of Reference etc?A:All files attached to your application must be in .txt, .rtf, .pdf, .docx, or .doc format. If you need to upload an image or scan, you must convert it to pdf or place it into a Word doc file.Back to TopQ:Can I send you paper copies or email attachments instead of uploading the documents and emails into my application online?A:No, our application process is paperless. All application information must be uploaded into your application.Back to TopQ:I do not have a scanner. What can I do?A:Most public libraries have scanners. Office supply stores can also scan documents for a fee. Sometimes, universities provide unofficial, online versions of transcripts at no cost. You may use these for your application. The file size limit is 10MB.Back to TopQ:Can I upload more attachments?A:You are currently limited to a maximum of six (6) upload documents. These will carry over to other applications if you apply for more than one job.Back to TopQ:Can I upload a separate group of attachments for each job posting to which I apply?A:At this time there is no way to upload different attachments for different job postings. If you overwrite your current attachments with new ones then the old versions will no longer be viewable by the district.Back to TopQ:Can I upload different cover letters for each job posting to which I apply?A:There is currently no way to upload different cover letters for each job to which you apply. It is best to use a generic cover letter when adding one to your attachments page. This may be unnecessary in some cases where districts have a specific page on their application for you to type your cover letter.Back to Top
Q:How do I check the status of my application?A:Log into your account and then click on the "Application Status" tab. If you have already applied for a job it will be listed under the "Current Applications" section. If you want to view additional details about the job you applied for click on the "Details" link associated with the job. If you have applied for jobs in the past that have been filled, it will be listed in the "Previous Applications" section.Back to TopQ:Is this a secure website, and is my data secure?A:Yes. All data transfers use 128-bit or 256-bit encryption depending on your computer's capabilities. This is the same type of encryption used for most online banking transactions.Back to TopQ:I forgot my username or password. How can I retrieve it?A:From the main job listings page, click the link "I Forgot My Password." Enter your email address into the box and your information will be sent to that email address.Back to TopQ:What are the qualifications for teaching in St. Mary's County Public Schools?A:All teachers must be eligible for a Maryland teaching certificate. You can find specific information regarding certification at the following link: to TopQ:When do you hire conditional teachers?A:Applicants who have completed an approved teacher preparation program and are eligible for Standard or Advanced Professional certification are considered first for any vacancy. The goal in any hiring season is to hire only teachers who are eligible for Standard or Advanced Professional certification.Back to TopQ:Is there a vacancy for each position posted?A:Not necessarily, St. Mary's County Public Schools accepts applications throughout the year for all potential teaching vacancies. To be considered for any vacancy, one must have completed an application online.Back to TopQ:When will I hear from SMCPS?A:We make every effort to review applications in a timely manner. You will receive email notification when the status of your application changes. Please check your application status online by logging onto your account. You will be notified via email should you be selected for a curricular screening interview and/or subsequent position interviews.Back to TopQ:Whom should I contact if I have additional questions?A:You can send your question(s) to: to TopQ:How do I apply to jobs as an internal applicant?A:To apply to jobs as an internal applicant, you must currently be employed by the district to which you are applying. There are two ways to create an internal account. Some districts have an “Internal” button enabled at the top right of the screen which will take you through the process of creating an internal account. If you have already created an account and would like to change it to internal, select the “Account Settings” option at the top of the screen after you have logged in. On the right side of the page there is an “Account Type” section. Here you can change your external account to internal by selecting “I am a current employee.”Back to TopQ:How do I view internal job postings?A:To view internal job postings, login with an internal account. The internal postings will appear under the job listings with all of the external postings.Back to TopQ:How do I transfer my Recruit & Hire account from one district to another?A:To transfer your account, sign out of the site (if applicable) and begin applying for the position you would like. You will be prompted to create a new account, sign in, or transfer a currently existing account. Enter the email and password that is connected with your other Recruit & Hire account. Enter the state that the account is located in and press continue. The site will locate your other account. You can then select it to transfer the information over. Please be aware that only some of your profile information will be moved over. You will still need to fill out certain sections on new applications.Back to TopQ:Can I combine multiple Recruit & Hire accounts with different districts?A:Unfortunately you are not able to combine accounts at this time.Back to TopQ:How do I find out about new job postings?A:You can sign up for job alerts on the main login page. Once this is done, you will receive weekly email notices of the jobs that the district has posted.Back to TopQ:How do I change the email address and password linked to my account?A:You can change your account information by select “Account Settings” at the top of the web page. To access account settings you will first need to login.Back to TopQ:If I transfer my account, do I lose all the information in the initial district?A:No information will be lost if you transfer your account. Your account with the previous district will remain active.Back to Top